Cooper: Diane, last night I dreamed I was eating a large, tasteless gumdrop, and awoke to discover I was chewing on one of my foam disposable earplugs. Perhaps I should consider moderating my nighttime coffee consumption.
-- "Twin Peaks"

Search This Blog

Friday, July 12, 2019

Cedars As Far As The Eye Can See

There are still a few more state parks within an hour's drive, and today it was the day for Cedars of Lebanon State Park.

Map of park location in Tennessee

Apparently it's named for all the Eastern Red Cedars there -- which aren't really cedars, perhaps in the same way that peanuts aren't really nuts; or perhaps not.  All I know is I couldn't say if the trees I saw were Eastern Red Cedars or something else.  I know there are many different kinds of trees, but who can tell them apart.  I feel the same way about all the different kinds of birds.

This is a huge park, with some nice amenities.  And the swimming pool looks like it'll be pretty amazing if you're into that kind of thing -- once the renovation is finished. Now it's just a big, empty hole.  Plus there's horse riding.  Maybe I should have picked up a remembrance at the gift shop, which is also a thing at this park, in the main office.  Well, I have my memories.

Even though there were people there in the camping area, I didn't come across anyone on the trails.

There seemed to be a lot of these big stones along the two mile Cedar Forest Trail. (This is off to the side of the actual "trail", by the way.)


Despite my leisurely pace, I made it back in less than an hour, so I figured I had time to try the half-mile Cedar Glades Trail. Besides the shorter distance, it was a much easier stroll due to being a wider trail with a lot less roots and stones in the path.


No comments:

Post a Comment