Cooper: Diane, last night I dreamed I was eating a large, tasteless gumdrop, and awoke to discover I was chewing on one of my foam disposable earplugs. Perhaps I should consider moderating my nighttime coffee consumption.
-- "Twin Peaks"

Search This Blog

Friday, June 28, 2019

A Smaller Park

The other day I visited my second Tennessee State Park, one of the smallest: Port Royal State Park, near Adams, Tenn. Technically it seems to be Port Royal State Historic Park, perhaps because, unlike most others, this one has no camping options. I suppose you could put a canoe in the water, but it doesn't really look like a spot for vigorous boating activities.  There are two sections separated by the Red River. The northern section contains a short segment, a few hundred yards, of the Trail of Tears. And, unlike the much larger Bledsoe Creek State Park, while at Port Royal, I didn't see any other people; unless you count the guys in a van who appeared to be park employees doing whatever they do -- and I never saw them get out of the van.

In the southern section, there's a pedestrian bridge from 1890 over Sulphur Fork Creek.

In the northern section, due to a recent storm, it was kind of hard to navigate the whole River Bottom Trail.

And here's a shot of the Trail of Tears, where the Cherokee were camped before leaving Tennessee on the "Northern Route".

No comments:

Post a Comment